Educational game designer and scientist Ariel Marcy is up and coming in her field. She wanted a website to reflect her professionalism, promote boardgame sales and organise her content for educators.
- Technical advice on theme choice and installation
- Layout and graphic design consult
- SEO, keyword optimisation
Bugsie Selmes runs workshops and tutorials for paramedics from university student level through to flight paramedics. His content was knowledgeable, but difficult to navigate, and he requested my help to allow bookings for training sessions, and to increase the number of visitors to his site.
- SEO, and light editing of blog posts
- Reorganised existing content to client objectives (promote workshop and bootcamp bookings, facilitate interaction with students)
- Created more logical menu systems for easier navigation
Medica Graphics is a freelance medical illustrator service for scientists and doctors. Medica Graphics requested my services to design an elegant site to showcase their work, from scientific journal covers to 3D animation elements.
- Website design and customisation using WordPress
- Assisted with maintenance of hosting and domain registration (ongoing)
- Maintenance of WordPress updates (ongoing)
In The News internal site
I was tasked to produce an internal website to display newspaper clippings, online news articles, TV media and radio snippets generated by the media team. The website had to be engaging and interactive for staff, easy to use for the media team to upload multiple formats of articles, and the posts needed to expire after 3 months to comply with copyright restrictions.
I used WordPress to create a clean minimalist front end, and custom post types, and custom field plugins to create easy-to-use interfaces for the media team to upload to. I separated online/print articles, audio and TV/video into separate post types to allow each to be displayed most optimally. Online and print articles provided a space to upload a photo, a short description and link to a pdf or the online version of the article. Radio and podcast audio displayed as a embedded player, with a short description and photo if required. Video displayed as a YouTube player or similar, including a still shot of the video.
- WordPress customisation – CSS, HTML, PHP
- Implemented custom post types and custom fields
- Installed relevant plugins and testing for ease of use
- Usability testing
Researchers at QIMR Berghofer sought my expertise to construct websites to promote recruitment for their research studies. The D-Health and OPAL studies engaged patients and health professionals alike. These websites were designed to align with the QIMR Berghofer main website design and align with the visual guidelines of the QIMR Berghofer brand. I developed, wrote and edited the copy for these sites as well as editing content in brochures and collateral.
- Website layout design and build – HTML, CSS
- Graphic design for website elements and print collateral
- Search Engine Optimisation and reporting of monthly visitors
- D-Health mass email marketing – design of headers, creation and editing of content, management of email database, custom field integration
QIMR Berghofer CMS changeover
QIMR Berghofer’s website was previously a static HTML website that was edited through Adobe Dreamweaver. A new propriety CMS was being implemented to solve this issue, but the homepage was still under consultation, and buy-in for content transfer and editing was minimal.
- Streamlined top-line navigation to allow easy access to most used content
- Requested review of content by laboratory and corporate managers
- Ported 1,500 pages from static html into the new CMS system
- Provided CMS training to scientists and corporate members throughout the Institute
- Graphic design of front page slider content
- Implemented animation for multiple promotions in sidebar
- HTML, CSS customisation
- Created and edited content for fundraising campaigns
- Designed landing pages for eDM campaigns
- SEO, keyword optimisation